1 tabelspoon boiling water 3 tabelspoons instant coffee granules 250 g unsalted butter, softened 1 1/4 cups (275 g) caster sugar 4 eggs 1 1/3 cup (200 g) self-raising flour 1/3 cup (50 g) plain flour 1/4 cup (60 g) milk
Butterschtch sauce 1 1/2 cups (300 g) firmly packed brown sugar 150 g butter, chopped 2/3 cup (160 ml) cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (160 C fan-forced) Grease a deep 22 cm round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
2. Combine the water and coffee in a cup; stir until dissolved.
3. Beat the butter and sugar in a small bowl with and electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between additions. Stir in the sifted flous, comblined coffee mixture and milk in 2 batches.
4. Spread mixture into prepared pan; bake for a bout 1 hour or until cooked when tested. Turn onto wire rack to cool.
5. Butterscotch sauce: Combine all ingredients in a pan over medium heat; stir until butter is melted. Bring to the boil, stirring simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
6. Pour butterscotch sauce over the top of the cake before serving