|Sample Outline for a Five-Paragraph Essay|
Title: Impacts of Globalisation on Thai Culture
A. Introductory statement: Definition and outlook of globalisation, and initial factors driving globalisation to expand.
B. Thesis statement: It can be argued that globalisation contributes both positive and negative impacts on Thai culture.
A. 1st Supporting Idea (Topic Sentence): Foreign languages have been exposed to Thai society.
1. Advantages: knowledge of foreign languages as a pathway to international communication, global relations and competitions in the worlds stages.
2. Disadvantages: a blend of foreign languages into Thai language causing a distortion in pronunciation, sentences and structures, and a replacement of some Thai words with foreign words.
B. 2nd Supporting Idea (Topic Sentence): There is an increase in valuing American fast-food cultures, associated with McDonaldisation and Coca-colonisation
1. Advantages: an experience of a variety of food from neighbored countries and an equal opportunity of importing and exporting Thai local products to the worlds markets.
2. Disadvantages: Thai traditional recipes being forgotten and a vast change in consumption habits (an imitation of American food, i.e. fast food/junk food).
C. 3rd Supporting Idea (Topic Sentence): Thai value systems, including ideas, attitudes and lifestyles, have been influenced by foreign cultures.
1. Advantages: an awareness of different perception of the world and modern values, higher standard of life, more confidence and freedom in thoughts and expression, and an adoption of new modes of life to Thai communities.
2. Disadvantages: loss of Thai identity in terms of traditional beliefs and values, lifestyles, and cultural practices, and an emergence of materialism (brand name and luxuries) in Thai society.
A. Closing statement:
- Globalisations significant roles in Thailand
- An evaluation of impacts from globalisation in terms of both benefits and losses
- A suggestion on how to implement global practices and cope with its influence for developing Thailand to be potentially globalised in the future.
B. Restate thesis: It can be concluded that globalisation embodies negative and positive traits, yielding numerous impacts upon Thai society in cultural aspect. Or Despite the unpredictable deleterious nature of globalisation, its beneficial effects on Thailand in cultural context can be considered.